On October 11th, 60 middle school and high school counselors joined UW CSE to learn about computing as part of the National Center for Women & Information Technology’s Counselors for Computing program. Counselors heard from faculty and industry professionals, participated in hands-on activities, and mingled with their university counterparts.
See event program and pictures.
The organizers were Jane Krauss from NCWIT, Hélène Martin from UW CSE, and Chris Kelly from WSCA.
- General C4C slides: pdf | pptx
- Ed Lazowska‘s “Why Computer Science?” slides: pdf | pptx
- Panelists: Molly Brown from Microsoft, Steph Dietzel from Tableau and Janette Siu from Google.
- Kristi’s slides on her path to computing: pdf | pptx
- The binary dots activity came from CS Unplugged
K-12 counselors and teachers: Computer Science is a phenomenal field! Send us your best students!