- Basic and applied research go hand-in-hand, informing and stimulating each other in a never-ending Yin and Yang of partnership.
- Research takes time.
- It’s risky – there are no guarantees.
- Failure is the handmaiden of wisdom in the scientific world: when we make predictions or build systems based on our theoretical models, we must be prepared for and learn from our failures.
- Computers, computation, networking and information sharing have become essential parts of the research landscape.
- Computer science should be treated on a par with biology, chemistry, physics and mathematics in K-12 and undergraduate curricula.
- Vannever Bush got it exactly right in his landmark report: Science, The Endless Frontier. Science is an endless frontier. The more we learn, the more we know we don’t know, and the more we must dedicate ourselves to learning and knowing more.
Read Vint’s full testimony here.